Thursday, May 25, 2006

The Dave Hill Explosion!

Last night, I saw the Dave Hill Explosion at the Upright Citizen's Brigade Theater (I've only been there a couple of times, and I keep forgetting how awesome and awesomely cheap it is - $5!). Dave Hill is a comic, and the Dave Hill Explosion is his kinda talk show. He "dances" to his theme song. He interviews people. He acts sort of like Chris Farley in that SNL skit where he interviewed Paul McCartney. His guests last night were Malcolm Gladwell of "Blink" and "Tipping Point" fame, Walter Schreifels of the Gorrilla Biscuits (whom I've never heard, because hardcore scares me), and Fred Armisen. Fred Armisen was introduced as and came out dressed as Saddam Hussein (a salt and pepper beard, a suit, and a white shirt), pointed at everyone, played the guitar a little and talked like a Cockney rock singer for the entire interview. The exchange I enjoyed most (from memory, certainly not verbatim):

Saddam: I like New York, yeah. But it's more of a winter/autumn city, y'know? Summer - it's just brutal, yeah.
Dave Hill: Wait, isn't Baghdad hot?
Saddam: It's not so bad with the air conditioning.

Dave Hill also played this commercial. I laughed out loud, but the audio is probably not safe for work.

3 comments:

Brendan said...

I saw Armisen do the Saddam thing at UCBT in LA. Same deal, only he wasn't being interviewed. Instead he took questions from the audience. The best one:

Q: What's your favorite movie?
A: Brazil.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I find some information here.